-> The fact is, folks, that you just need a cigarette after you make love to a beautiful woman, or a confused young man. You don't wanna roll off somebody and go: "Oh, baby; that was amazing! Skittles? Would you like a Skittle? How 'bout a Jolly Rancher, baby?"
-->-- Dave Attell
After sex, two lovers share a post-coital smoke. Frequently, as in the picture, they'll do so sitting up in bed wearing a ModestyBedsheet.
One occasionally seen variation is the post-sex pizza (maybe it's easier to get past the MoralGuardians?)
- [This] Brazilian ad for sexual lubricant: a lady cartoon ant enjoying a smoke after enjoying... an elephant.
- In NeonGenesisEvangelion, Misato claims that she only ever smokes after sex.
* Anime/ExcelSaga has Pedro lying in the bed with the Great Will of the Macrocosmos having a smoke. The Great Will of the Macrocosm is a miniature spinning universe with two lady arms.
* Excalibur is seen smoking in bed next to a beautiful woman in SoulEater. Sent up with an accompanying message advising viewers not to do likewise.
** Advising them to not smoke or to JerkAss not have sex with Excalibur?
* NodameCantabile has a scene in episode 17 that includes Kiyora taking a smoke next to a sleeping and naked Mine.
* Surprisingly averted in Manga/VirginLove. EverybodySmokes, but they only seem to use it for stress relief from work, never casually after sex.
* In Template:Vassalord, Rayflo often smokes after Charley KissOfTheVampire feeds on him.
* Satou of WelcomeToTheNHK smokes after discovering Internet porn.
- In Template:Watchmen, Laurie and Dan have sex and in the next scene Laurie is seen in a panel naked and smoking a cigarette. Earlier, after they had fought a punk gang in the alley, they looked guiltily away from each other, and Laurie lights up... fairly obvious subtext there.
* Subverted in one of NeilGaiman's Template:Miracleman stories where a boy lights a cigarette after TheirFirstTime losing his virginity because IAlwaysWantedToSayThat he always wanted to do that.
* In DoriSeda's stories, people sometimes are depicted with smoking genitals after sex.
* In one Comicbook/TeenTitans comic, Terra enjoys a post-coital puff as she and Deathstroke lay out their plans to destroy the Titans.
- The ElfenLied fan comic [=~Nana's Everyday Life~=] (warning: probably NotSafeForWork NSFW) sends this up a few times.
* DiscussedTrope Discussed in a particularly [[Template:Narm Narmy]] fashion in one of the FanFic.TitanLegends Legend Maker WesternAnimation/TeenTitans fics, after Raven and her OC boyfriend hook up.
- Janet sees Brad and Frank-N-Furter doing this in a TV monitor in TheRockyHorrorPictureShow. "Coming!" "So's Brad!"
** "If your asshole is smoking after sex, you're doing something wrong!"
* Airplane! parodies this: after the "NotWhatItLooksLike oral sex" scene between Elaine and Otto, the inflatable autopilot, both are seen smoking.
* [[Airplane! Airplane II: The Sequel]] recycles the joke: after the RightOnQueue scene with the YouDontWantToDieAVirginDoYou girl, she is seen smoking next to a ButYouScrewOneGoat donkey.
* LoadedWeapon1 spoofs its earlier use of a SexyDiscretionShot: "Next time, instead of just smoking cigarettes together in bed, do you think we could actually make love?"
* Parodied in AustinPowers: The Spy Who Shagged Me:
-->Vanessa: Do you smoke after sex?
-->Austin: I don't know, baby. I never looked.
::Later, Number 2 goes back in time and ScrewYourself sleeps with his younger self. Afterwards they're seen in bed together smoking.
* Played with in the film version of FightClub, with Tyler Durden smoking after his first fight with The Narrator.
* During Film/BlackSheepTheMovie Black Sheep, the New Zealand comedy-horror film, a character locks himself, and the "prototype" of a new breed of sheep, in his study to protect them from man-eating sheep. When we next see him, he's smoking a cigarette.
* Elizabeth and the Monster (eventually) do it in YoungFrankenstein.
* In the PinkPanther film A Shot in the Dark, Maria mentions this trope while being interrogated by Clouseau, asking why men always do it.
* Special mention must go to the film Thank You For Smoking not so much for containing this trope, but for a subplot revolving around a plot by the tobacco industry to revive this trope. InSpace IN SPACE!
* In BrokebackMountain, Ennis and Jack share a cigarette after sex in one scene.
* In The Gay Divorcee Fred and Ginger have a smoking hot dance sequence during "Night and Day". To make the metaphor more obvious, he offers her a cigarette afterward.
* Averted in The Seduction of Joe Tynan. After Senator Tynan has sex with his assistant Karen Traynor, he pigs out on food. Karen: "Why can't you smoke afterwards like everyone else?!"
* Seducing Dr. Lewis starts with Gérmain remembering when all the GoodPeopleHaveGoodSex good people from his olden days had good sex with their wives. Cue the entire town lighting a cigarette and taking a puff.
* This becomes a plot point in Brick.
* Samir Nazhde takes a smoke after having sex with Sharon Bridger in one scene from Film/TheSiege The Siege.
* Lynda and Bob in the original Film/Halloween.
* In GlengarryGlenRoss, Al Pacino's character talks about having a post-coital cigarette and feeling supremely satisfied.
* Twice in ScaryMovie 2, the first time by an invisible ghost after screwing one of the female characters.
* In TheKidsAreAllRight, after spoiler:Jules and Paul have sex, she says she wants a cigarette though she doesn't smoke anymore. However, he doesn't have any.
- In the book Millennium by JohnVarley, the hero, Louise Baltimore, is from the future. The air has become so polluted that humans have been adapted to it. When she travels back in time to the 20th century, she is constantly smoking cigarettes to help her breathe. Anyway, this is all leading up to when she finishes sex, she immediately lights one causing her partner to comment, "Do you always smoke after sex?". She then looks at her crotch, to make the obvious joke.
* TheTimeTravelersWife is well aware of this trope's implications, using it to point up just how stereotypically masculine Gomez is. (Henry, a more sophisticated sort, notably does not engage in this.)
* PlayedForLaughs (rather morbid laughs, but still) in TheDresdenFiles Ghost Story, after spoiler:ghost!Harry briefly possesses Molly's (his apprentice who is hopelessly and unrequitedly in love with him) body. When they are separated again, Molly grimly quips something along the lines of, "So you've finally been inside me. I feel like I should offer you a cigarette."
** Blackadder Goes Forth:
-->"I only smoke after making love. So back home, I'm a twenty-a-day man."
** In Blackadder II, Edmund learns SweetPollyOliver Bob is a girl ... and we immediately cut to him smoking a pipe.
* In LifeOnMars, Sam and Gene (well, Gene really), start a fight in a hospital. Cut to a scene of them exhausted and (Gene) smoking. Some of the fans HoYay saw this another way.
* Referenced in an episode of Template:Becker where Becker is trying to quit smoking. He gets frustrated and manages to replace one addiction with another by gaining a sex buddy. We're shown that they've had sex by a quick cut to them lying next to each other in bed, looking exhausted. Becker remarks "I just remembered another cigarette I really miss".\\
when he crawls down the fire escape to retrieve his last cigarette, which he dropped out the window, and encounters a couple having sex in the apartment below; they are shocked, but he asks "I don't suppose you two are going to have a smoke after you're done?"
* In Template:Spaced, the couple pass a cigarette back and forth in exhaustion and pleasure InnocentInnuendo after vaccuuming the flat.
* In MarriedWithChildren, Marcy was fighting stage fright in front of a group by imagining herself in bed. It got so intense that she had an orgasm right in front of everyone and was seen with a lit cigarette in her hand that just appeared out of nowhere. Al was also seen smoking a cigar after a particularly vigorous session with Peggy that not only lasted a full day (or maybe even several), it made her hair stand on end.\\
Bud smoked a pipe after having sex. It made him cough (the smoking).
* The "I don't know, I never looked" punch line came up in one episode of TheCloser.
* Brian Kinney of QueerAsFolk does this occasionally.
* Shows up fairly frequently (as in, five minutes into the pilot and then a lot afterwards) in MadMen (Duck Phillips does this after doing *ahem* with spoiler:Peggy like it's his job), though this might be a reflection of the fact that on that show, EverybodySmokes constantly. It also fits well with the style of the show, as creator Matthew Weiner says he tries to use elements of the "visual vocabulary" of the time in the show.
* The pizza variation appears in an episode of Series/RedDwarf; Rimmer recounts the one and only time he made love, which only took twelve minutes, and that includes the time it took to eat the pizza. Of course, he gets another chance later. Pizza is mentioned again, when he thinks two slave girls are planning on interrogating him with sex, he demands they have a four-cheese pizza ready at the end. Apparently, Rimmer really likes pizza.\\
Kochanski describes her relationship with Lister as "hanging out in your bunk, eating take-away curries and having fantastic sex."
* Template:Scrubs includes the after-sex pizza version. Of course, it's not so much after-sex pizza as between-sex pizza.
* Referenced hilariously in Series/Wings. Lowell declares that he's going to move out of Joe and Brian's house so that he and reconciled ex Bunny won't feel so "inhibited". Brian's incredulous response? "THAT was inhibited? When you were done, *I* smoked a cigarette!"
* Parodied in Template:Seinfeld. George's girlfriend makes numerous orgasmic moans while eating a risotto, and upon finishing, lights a cigarette.
* Occurs in several skits in ChappellesShow. In one notable one, a film camera shows (among other things) the last person an individual had sex with, while showing both individuals smoking.
* The pizza variation is referenced at the end of Susan Ivanova's Funny/BabylonFive hilarious "ItMakesSenseInContext human sex" act with the Lumati ambassador, the ambassador asks, "what do I do now?" Ivanova responds:
--> Old style, you roll over and go to bed. New style, you go out for pizza and I never see you again.
* MysteryScienceTheater3000 had a field day with the movie Template:Clonus; Because of a bad camera angle, a smoldering campfire is positioned behind the male lead's pelvis following a sex scene, leading to lots of jokes along these lines. Reportedly, it was these jokes that made the film's director glad they'd granted MST the rights to spoof it.
* WhoseLineIsItAnyway gets around the TV rating by miming smoking to represent sex in their sketches. Much like kissing in StarWars, allegedly.
* Dave Allen mentioned this on one episode of his show after he'd quit smoking. It can be found [here].
* Parodied, kind of, on "WillAndGrace," when Karen reads Jack's SlashFic hot gay romance "novel" and apparently enjoys it so much that she has to have a cigarette afterwards (and surprisingly, despite her many addictions, she is not portrayed as a smoker otherwise). Made even funnier because Grace is in the room and OneDialogueTwoConversations misunderstands Karen's vehement exclamations as being in response to her problems with Will, to which Karen isn't listening at all.
* Done a few times on "BoardwalkEmpire," since nearly everyone smokes, but probably most memorably with spoiler:"Lucky" Luciano and Gillian Darmody--it's notable because she's "UnusualEuphemism the first broad in years [[TheLoinsSleepTonight that's put any lead in [his] pencil]]."
* BuffyTheVampireSlayer has a rather blatant example: Spike has a robot version of Buffy built, SexBot no prizes for guessing what for. Well he's in his crypt with a cigarette then we realize the bot had just finished blowing Spike.
- Parodied at the end of LadyGaga's video for Bad Romance, after setting her lover/master on fire.
* The folk singer Damh the Bard, introducing an explicitly steamy love song, claimed that after he once performed it a woman in the front row commented "I want a cigarette!"
- Parodied in Template:BC. A bee is eating out of a flower, then flies over to another one, thus performing pollination. The two flowers stare at each other smoking cigarettes as the bee flies away.
- On the NPR radio show APrairieHomeCompanion, Garrison Keillor once described a cartoon he saw that had a chicken and an egg lying in bed. The egg was somehow smoking a cigarette, and the caption read, "Well, I guess that answers that question." This has been drawn several times with slight variations. One version can be found at the bottom [of this page.]
* Similar to the Dave Atell quote, when TheNewsQuiz discussed the UK smoking ban, Phil Jupitus wondered what people would do after sex. Juggle? (Fred [=McAuley=] then pointed out that you only weren't allowed to smoke in RedLightDistrict a workplace...)
- Also spoofed in VGCats, in the [strip] that introduced us all to the name FaceFullOfAlienWingWong.
* From QuestionableContent: after a night of, well, "chatting" with another [=AnthroPC=], Pintsize comes out smoking a cigarette. No one knows where he got it from and, knowing Pintsize, they're worried he'll do some property damage with it. A variation appears [here] where Faye implies that unloading that much scorn is a pleasure comparable to sex.
* A spoof to the newest advertisement of the ps3 can be found [here]
* In a SexyLosers [strip] (NSFW), a NaughtyTentacles tentacle monster smokes after attacking a woman.
* In Template:Homestuck, the squiddles relax with a smoke after a DoesThisRemindYouOfAnything frenetic tanglebuddy session.
* One Sinfest comic has the devil girl Baby Blue attempting to corrupt the innocent nerd, Criminy. He demonstrates the use of his telescope in a scene rife with InnocentInnuendo. At the end, the rather impressed Blue says that she needs a cigarette.
* In SomethingPositive, Davan was strung out on painkillers after an accident, and one of his female acquaintances thought he looked strangely attractive that way. [This trope ensued.]
* KarateBears still [smoke after sex] even if it's a little old fashioned.
* On Maddox's The Best Page in the Universe, an article about women's fashion features a cartoon about two cosmetics chemists coming up with names for shades of red lipstick. After the two list particularly long and ridiculous names, one of them remarks, "Hand me a cigarette, because I just came!"
* Variation: WebVideo/TheNostalgiaCritic smokes a cigarillo after having a fanboy orgasm at a great death scene in Double Team.
* NarutoTheAbridgedComedyFandubSpoofSeriesShow: In episode 2, Naruto discusses with Konohamaru about how he'd like to do this with the women in a porn magazine he's reading. In episode 3, he really does do this after having sex with Sasuke.
** In "Amazon Women in the Mood", the skeletons of men killed by "snu-snu" have cigarettes in their hands. The show uses this for the first time in the fourth episode in, starting Leela's reluctant running joke about "crossing paths" with Zapp Brannigan.
** Subverted with Fry and Colleen in "The Beast With A Billion Backs", he blows a gum bubble and lets it pop on his face instead of smoking.
* Done countless times in FamilyGuy, which not only includes any main couple in the show, but also Quagmire, Stewie lying next to a CPR infant dummy, and former President Bill Clinton!
* Parodied in an episode of KingOfTheHill, where it looks like Dale's having a post-sex smoke, and it turns out that he's having a smoke just before sex.
* Parodied in the log-sawing scene in RenAndStimpy Adult Party: the [[Template:Squick scene itself]] is as HoYay sex-like as it goes, but Ren's post-sawing smoke caps it all.
** Season 15 episode, "The Ziff Who Came to Dinner", has this trope in one scene with Artie Ziff and Selma after they had quick sex with Selma smoking.
** "Regarding Margie": Happens near the end of the second act with Skinner and Edna seen with their ragged clothes on after sex with Edna smoking a cigarrete.
-->Skinner: You know, I think about you all the time.
-->Edna: Birthday's over, Seymour.
** After Bart and Homer take the dancers cigarettes they throw them to the mayor who is in a bed and praying for a cigarette.
* In WesternAnimation/TheBrakShow episode "Cardburkey", Brak and Clarence move out into cardboard houses in hopes of getting laid. Clarence has sex with a vicious bloodcat, and comes over to Brak's house smoking a cigarette.
* Happens several times in DrawnTogether, most notably in the episode where Captain Hero discovers Clara has a car crash fetish.ItMakesSenseInContext After seeing a crash, a bird lands on her shoulder and hands her a cigarette.
* In the "Toy Story 4" sketch of RobotChicken, a grown-up Andy has sex with a girl in his bedroom. While the toys' horrified reaction could have been a decent closure to the skit, DeadBabyComedy with this being Robot Chicken, it goes further beyond that, and the addition of this very trope is what causes things to go DudeNotFunny downhill, and ends the sketch DownerEnding on a very TearJerker bleak note.
folder: Video Games
* If you have sex with the prostitute in LeisureSuitLarry, she will be seen smoking a cigarette after the deed.
* In Spellcasting 101, you and anyone you sleep with smoke after the deed (Assuming you haven't dropped the pack of cigarettes). In 201, this is changed to eating lollipops, and in 301 this is changed to eating breadsticks.
* MetalGearSolid Solid Snake smokes a cigarette after major battles. The second game makes it canon that this is because killing feels like sex to him.